Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Most destructive command in Ontap

There are some commands which shake me when I run or even when I am close to them, but never thought I could be make my filer so close to death by just mistyping a command.

Yes, indeed I did it by typing 'gbd' rather than 'dbg', these two are so close to each other that my buttery fingers didn't realize that I mistyped a command and by the time I could realize it was too late. Sigh!

Little background on this 'gbd' command.

This command is in diag mode and so debug, however whereas 'dbg' captures filer debug info on console or a file, 'gbd' sends kill signal to all the processors which stops all the work on filers and everything just hangs. The only way to recover your filer is by hard rebooting it, either by RLM or physically tipping the power button.

I don't understand why brilliant NetApp engineers have made it so simple, why couldn't they use a command like 'use_this_to_kill_your_system' or something like that and I swear no one would ever type it.

Anyway I did it and I admit, that I should have checked before hitting return which I didn't. But guess what I was lucky enough to not to do it on a prod system and this test/dev system was having only a bunch of NFS clients were connected to it which made it sort of invisible to client systems due to the nature of NFS protocol.

What is the other command which you think shouldn't be so easy along with this?

2 comments:

E said...

Thanks for the honesty :-) Helps the next guy!

--OL said...

Note that in a cluster, the partner would have taken over in that case.

And most of the time, an admin should be in "admin" mode, sometimes in "advanced", but not in "diag" mode, unless you're planning to hack your way through, or are following tech support's instructions.

When I saw "destructive" I expected to read something about data loss, not about an outage :)